So this is the full rumored specs recap of the new Nikon Full Frame cameras/lenses:
- Two different mirrorless full frame cameras
- Resolution: 24-25MP and 45-48MP
- Similar body size to the Sony a7 camera
- 5-axis in-body stabilization
- 4k video
- Memory cards: XQD and CF Express
- EVF resolution: 3.6 million dots
- Nikon is putting a lot of emphasis and effort into the shooting experience of the new mirrorless camera. The camera was designed with ergonomics in mind.
- Over 400 AF points, not sure about the exact number, it should be somewhere between 430-450. The AF is supposed to be very fast.
- The rear LCD screen is tiltable just like the Nikon D850.
- There is a second LCD screen on the top of the camera.
- My understanding is that there is only one selection wheel on top of the camera.
- The camera’s “prism” with the EVF is a bit less angular/smoother when compared to the Sony a7.
- I can now confirm that the new 24-70 mirrorless full frame kit lens will indeed be f/4.
- I see 8K listed in the technical specifications, but it is hard for me to get the translation – I don’t think it’s for video, maybe 8K time-lapse just like the D850?
- The new Nikon mirrorless camera will have a nice finish and a very comfortable grip. The overall handling/feeling is supposed to be excellent – this is coming from somebody who is/has tested the camera.
- Most likely no built-in flash.
- The promo materials should include dancers.
- Potential names: Z300 and Z500 (not confirmed, take it with a grain of salt for now).
- Initially, three lenses will be announced: 24-70mm f/4, 35mm and 50mm (I think the 35 and 50mm will be f/1.4). There is also talk about a 24mm, but it may come later.
- At least one new mirrorless zoom lens will have power zoom for video recording (unconfirmed, could be announced later).
- Two electric AF motors (not confirmed).
- Very sophisticated new F-mount adapter (confirmed by multiple sources).
- I was told that Nikon is currently developing a large number of new mirrorless lenses and this is a top priority.
- The new mirrorless mount will allow for f/0.95 lenses
Nikon is working on the holy grail of mirrorless system camera sensor tech. In the newly published patent application (submitted in January 2018) they present a new sensor:
In order to realize a global shutter in a CMOS image sensor, there is known an imaging apparatus in which a storage section is provided to a pixel.
Moreover the sensor has on sensor phase detection pixels similar to Canon’s dual pixel tech.If Nikon can really translate this into their new FF mirrorless it would certainly mark a quantum leap over current Sony’s.
Today we spotted a brand new Nikon patent application (PCTJP2015086328) describing the optical proprieties of a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 lens for a Full frame mirrorless. There is only one question now…when is Nikon going to announce this lens?